Travel, Hospitality And Liquor Licensing

Travel, Hospitality And Liquor Licensing

Hospitality is one of the oldest and most complex commercial activities in the world. At present, global tourism is growing, thanks to rising levels of income, the thriving aviation industry and developments in the transport sector, such as express motorways and super- fast trains, while many countries survive on so-called ‘tourist money’. The Indian tourism and hospitality industry has emerged as one of the key drivers of growth among the services sector in India. The Indian hospitality industry has recorded healthy growth fueled by robust inflow of foreign tourists as well as increased tourist movement within the country and it has become one of the leading players in the global industry.

KMNP Law represents registered Clubs, hotels, restaurants and the various service providers that supply them, including food and liquor wholesalers, caterers, chefs and key managers. Our hospitality practice generates a substantial amount of liquor licensing work. We act for liquor store proprietors, winemakers and distributors.

Our comprehensive knowledge of the travel, leisure and hospitality industries and related laws in India ensure that we have a thorough understanding of all aspects of our clients’ businesses. Our integrated team of corporate lawyers and litigators are very familiar with processes outlined by India’s regulatory bodies in the food and beverage industry.


A.     Entry related laws

The Acts and laws applicable to foreigners

1.       Passport (Entry into India ) Act of 1920

2.      Registration Of Foreigners Act of 1939

3.      The Foreigners Act of 1946

B.     Accommodation  related laws

1.       The  Sarais  Act

2.      Hospitality  Acts

3.      Catering  Regulations

C.     Environment  related  laws

1.      Air  Prevention  And  Control Of Pollution  Act

2.      Coastal Zone Regulations

3.      The  Environment  Act

4.      The  Forest  Conservation  Act

5.      The  Indian  Forest  Act

6.      The  National  Environment  Tribunal  Act

7.      Water  Prevention  And  Control of  Pollution Act

8.     The  Wildlife  Protection  Act

9.      World  Trade  Organization (WTO)  on  Conservation

D.    Monument  related  laws

1.      Antiquities  And  Art  Treasure  Act 1972

2.      The  Ancient  Monument  Act  1904

3.      Ancient  Monuments  And  Archaeological Sites  and  Remains  Act  1958

E.     Protection  of  Tourists  and  Health

1.      Consumer  Protection Act

2.      Indian Penal  Code

3.      Prevention  Of  Food  Adulteration  Act

F.     Economic Regulations

1.      Custom  Regulations

2.      Income  Tax

3.      Foreign  Travel  Tax

4.      Inland  Air  Travel  Tax

G.    Traveling Regulations

1.      The  Railways  Act  1989

2.      Motor  Vehicles  Act  1988

H.   Hospitality Industry  Laws

The  hospitality  industry  is  divided  into  6  sectors  named  as-

1.      Premium  Or  Luxury  Sector ( 5 Star  Hotels/ Deluxe Hotels)

2.      Budget  Sector (4 To 1 Star Hotel)

3.      Heritage  Hotels (Palaces, Havelis And Forts Converted To Hotels)

4.      Resorts  And  Clubs

5.      Restaurants (Food  Chains  And  Outlets)

6.      Service  Apartments

In addition, tourism business may need government licenses and permits before it can start. Examples include licenses for accommodation providers, tour operators and travel agents.

In order to be issued with a tourism license, the applicant has to provide some documents to the TRA (Tourism Regulatory Authority) for registration and subsequent licensing. These are different depending on the type of operations the applicant is engaged in. Besides duly filled in application Form 1and upon payment of prescribed license fees in the fourth schedule of the TRA regulations.

The recognition, as an approved ITO (Inbound  Tour  Operator), shall be granted by the Ministry of Tourism (MOT), Government of India (GOI), New Delhi, initially for five years, based on the Inspection Report/Recommendations of a Committee comprising the concerned Regional Director (RD) and a member of Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO).


•         Police License / Registration.

•         License under Shops & Establishments Act.

•         License under Prevention of Food Adulteration Act.

•         Registration under the Luxury Tax Act.

•         Registration under the Sales Tax Act.

•         Registration under the Contract Labour Act.

•         Registration under the Pollution Control Act.

•         Registration under the Apprentices Act.

•         Registration under the Provident Fund Act.

•         Registration under the ESI Act.

•         Entertainment License on Festival Occasions.

•         Registration under the Weights & Measures Act.

•         Factory License for Laundry.

•         Central Excise License for Bakery Products.

•         Registration & Permits under the Motor Vehicle Act for Tourist Coaches / Taxies.

•         Eating House License.

•         Municipal Beer Bar License.

•         License for storage of Diesel Oil.

•         License for storage of Kerosene & Compressed Gas (LPG).

•         Sign Board Directions, Neon Signs.

•         License to deal in Foreign Exchange under FEMA.

•         Cold Storage License, (if over 25 cubic ft.).

•         License for Boiler & Generators and Mixers and Grinders.

•         Bar License (Foreign Liquor).

•         Mild Liquor License.

•         Temporary License for Awnings & covering of Terrace during monsoon.

•         Building Completion Certificate.

•         Copy Right License for Playing of Music.

•         Lodging House License

•         Approval from the Department of Tourism, Government of India.

•         License  under  Air  and  Water (Prevention  and  control  of  Pollution) Act

Our Hospitality & Tourism Group understands how these challenges affect your operations and your legal needs. We advise and represent clients in all areas of hospitality and tourism, including:

Hospitality businesses and stakeholders – Hotels; resorts; tennis, badminton and golf clubs; marinas; restaurants; casinos; owners; hotel and resort management entities; brand entities and franchisors; franchisees; lenders; and investors.

Travel-related businesses – Travel operators (inbound, outbound, adventure and specialty), airlines, and travel service providers.

Contact Persons: